Skip to main content

Farewell to all that

The days of the weed growing are numbered as I am moving to Stroud (of Rupert Burdock fame) and I will have to abandon the anotment after three years of adventures (or is it four, I am useless at tracking time). 

I have been so excited by working with the land and the girls that I am looking for ways to pursue the same interests in Stroud once I can get more settled there.

A Pensford Field committee member spoke to me after the recent work day and explained the plans for the back of the studio. I was sad to hear it will be lost in their plans to build a shed, but I am hopeful that some of the learning can be brought forward into the planned garden for the front of the space. He said it would likely be winter before anything actually happens. If this is so I am in contact with someone who may be able to continue monitoring the patch over the summer.

I had a lovely send off from the fantastic Girls Art Club, who threw me a leaving do recently. I have seen them learn a great deal through joining me in my own efforts to explore the plants as they grew up behind the studio of their own accord.

It was great to see how the girls changed through being at the club, the garden and the field - from being often quite timid with nature, to being very confident - from squealing and running away from worms to handling all kinds of bugs and wanting to look after them and 'put them in the bug hotel' which I built into the side of the garden. They started out very wary of the nettles and now they just grab their gloves and come out and get digging. They teach each other as well which is great.


What I have learnt from the experience is that working with wild plants or edible weeds, (with a few more familiar herbs thrown in) can be a very exciting way to bring kids into contact with nature and to help them build confidence in it. The girls developed a real sense of ownership and even have begun planting things they brought from home. They've made suggestions and it has been a great way for them to learn what various wild plants taste like and also about the relationships of wild plants with bugs and other wildlife. Its a way of seeing our links with nature rather than the separation, eg. how we and bees can both eat the same plants.

Parents have also got involved with tasting.  One girls' father has offered to do some work there such as clearing space, digging, etc.

Working with weeds is very low maintenance. If kids trample them, they rebound easily; if they are neglected over the summer, they thrive; if there is a drought, fat hen keeps it looking green and if there is rain, an abundance of variety springs up. There are almost no costs - a pair of gardening gloves is handy, and a trowel - but no pots, no compost, no watering, is needed. It also benefits wildlife: in late winter and early spring, the bees can feed on the alkanet, providing honey for the beekeepers later on, and the unuusual flavours of the plants keep everyone entertained (if not always delighted) throughout the year. The diversity of plants provides a resource for wide range of creatures, without providing enough for any bug to take over. In short, this garden to me represents a great learning opportunity at the axis of human and wild life.

I must thank Pensford Field Environmental Trust for offering me this fantastic opportunity to explore edible wild plant gardening. Ive enjoyed it and learnt so much and I will be carrying on.

I hope the committee will consider doing some transplanting of plants and or soil, as there are quite an interesting mix of plants there now, including lavender, sage, several types of mint, fennel, as well as the wild things like Alexanders, burdock, woad, thistles, horseradish, oregano, poppies, fat hen, etc. I do hope that some of the life of the wild garden will continue around the studio, for the sake of the kids, the wildlife, and everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Squirrel Nut Stew

Spent a weekend in the woods and collected a few mushies plus some fresh squirrel! I've also had a bumper crop of sweet chestnuts and walnuts from trees down the road. So i had a superb stew made largely from wild local food, apart from the flour (Waitrose farm in Hampshire), thyme (Dennis' allottment), salt (Maldon's, Essex), oil (olive but local rapeseed would be perfectly good substitute. I just happen to have a five gallon bottle of olive oil that was given so am making good use of it!) and carrots (Abel & Cole). Here is my recipe for squirrel stew, incorporating Tristram's suggestions about the first stage for the meat: Preparation stage: 1 squirrel, skiined and prepared ( see Flickr for details of how to do this) A few ounces of flour with salt and thyme mixed in Oil For the stew 1 or more penny buns (cep mushroom) A few spiny puffballs Handful of Amethyst Deceivers Handful of sweet chestnuts , peeled Handful of walnuts Water 6 medium size Chopped carrots Sp

Amethyst Deceiver!

The little purple one was the edible and rather delicious Amethyst Deceiver . The River Cottage handbook claims that they are generic, "filler" mushrooms. I don't agree. They are a bit tough and chewy but that was a good thing. I spent ages poring over these little lilac beauties thinking they might be Lilac Fibrecaps, in which case a very nasty dose of pretty much everything was in store. They are called Deceivers because they have a near relative that is edible but takes on a thousand forms, making it very tricky to recognise. Happily the story ends well with me having a nice purple treat and a full tummy. The one in the background was Charcoal buirner ( Russula cyanoxantha ) or simliar, but it turned out to be full of little mushroom grubs. All the other mushies we brought home were poisonous - or couldn't be identified but were similar to known poisonous ones.

Spot the Bugs

Sometimes bugs are spotted: I liked these ones.