Skip to main content

a note of the cost of food

I would like to comment on the fact that often people wonder whether the food we are buying "costs more".

Sometimes yes it is more expensive than if you just went to Tesco all the time.

However, I never did and rob only sometimes and when he was skint.

but the thing is, how much does even really expensive food cost?

Like if I am really going overboard, I might pay, I don't know, a pound for a pint of milk instead of 36p.

That's 64p more than normal.

I mean come on. That is not really going to make any difference to my life. We get through about three-four pints a week, thats about £2,40. Thats less than a glass of wine one evening down the pub.

A week. Between us. For one drink.

I really dont think that buying Expensive Food makes much difference. Running an Expensive Car, that makes a difference. Going on Expensive Holidays, makes a difference. Buying Expensive Clothes makes a difference.

Paying 64p more for a pint of milk, that doesnt make a difference.

And anyhow, for everything we buy that costs more, there are three things that are much cheaper (eg home grown mint) - or someone sends us a box of oats - so in the end it doesnt matter.

Thankyou. Lesson for the day has now ended.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a Plea for Butter

The one item we are struggling to locate a regular supply for within 100 miles, is butter. Please help! The butter we found so far is either made from the cream on the top of the Duchy Milk or else from a tiny place in sussex that we cant go back to for a while.

Life Returns to Notment - and my soul

It has been such a long time, we had so much cold and rain and snow this winter that I have hardly been down to the notment at all. A couple of weeks ago I did go, and collected some baby Alexanders , which went down very well with the family. They are very herbal, like fennel, aniseed or celery but stronger and with a distinct flavour. They work very well chopped up with mashed potato or in an omelette. Then yesterday I went back for a propoer look at the spring life. Many of the fragile little seedlings planted last year in their fleece-poo blankets are still alive if not exactly thriving - including a sage, some fennel cuttings, a feverfew and calamint. Sadly though, the huge ants nest has gone since the breeze blocks were sold to alocal builder who has been able to reuse them. I had been hoping to provide a new home for the ants, but failed to act in time and so now just have to wait and see if they managed to survive or not. I am fairly ignorant about the habits of ants, but...

Spot the Bugs

Sometimes bugs are spotted: I liked these ones.